Phone: 509.995.9804

Child Custody, Support and Visitation Rights

It is in the nature of divorces to be complicated and emotionally grueling, so when children are involved, it is best to have an attorney that is familiar with court proceedings and know to make decisions in the best interests of the child. When a marriage is deemed "irretrievably broken" and a divorce is the only option, it is the children that can be hurt the most. A child custody attorney can assist in sorting out which parent should be the custodian, or if 50/50 custody is best in a particular divorce. They can provide guidance on child support payments and visitation schedules.

In Washington, a Parenting Plan can either be an agreement between the spouses or a court order that specifies a minors residential schedule and the parents rights and responsibilities regarding the offspring after the divorce. A visitation rights lawyer at the Law Office of Ann Farnsworth will sit down with both spouses and write up such a plan while keeping the best interests of the child in mind. This is important because when a divorce proceeding ends up in court, the judgements rendered will almost always be made in the best interest of the child.

Child support payments are based on standards set by the Legislature and then adjusted with permissible deductions by the attorney. If interested, you may estimate your child support amount by using the Washington State Child Support Calculator that is provided by the Washington Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) and can be found at It takes the parents W-2 information and determines the amount of child support payments. Offspring also incur what are known as "extraordinary expenses", such as educational expense, sports and other extracurricular activities, travel, work-related childcare and others. This is an additional burden to basic child support and must be shared equally by the parents.

Ann Farnsworth Law Offices is located near the Courthouse complex in Spokane, WA but also serves the entire greater Spokane area.