Phone: 509.995.9804


Once a court order is entered by the Court and the other person is aware of the order, he or she cannot simply disregard the order and do as they please. Court orders in Family Law are entered to provide predictability for the non-residential parent and the child. The Court expects their order to be followed and doesn't take kindly to those who deliberately refuse to follow them. If Court orders are violated, the injured parent can bring the violation to the Court's attention and request the Court summon the offending party to come to court and explain why he or she should not be held in Contempt of Court.

Once the offending party is ordered to appear to explain their behavior, the Court will hear from both sides and determine whether or not the offending party deliberately violated a lawful court order without good cause. If they have, they will be found in contempt and they will be told how to purge or make up for the contempt. The Court will issue an order specifically setting forth the actions that must be taken by the offender.

The remedy for contempt of court is usually progressively harsher depending on the violation and the number of violations. Many violations could lead to financial sanctions, loss of residential time, and potentially jail time for the violator.

Should you feel that the other party has violated the courts order regarding your parenting plan, child support or property division, or if you have been accused of violating a Court order, be sure to contact Ann Farnsworth Law Office for assistance and representation.